2nd Edition—New from TidBITS
Fight information overload with popular information manager DEVONthink 2
Ithaca, NY—To cover the many new features and changes over the last two years of updates to the popular information management application DEVONthink 2, TidBITS Publishing Inc. has published the second edition of Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2($15.00 USD).
Designed to help Mac users fight information overload by storing and indexing digital documents and clippings of all sorts, including scanned paper bills and receipts, DEVONthink provides all the tools necessary to organize, find, and view vast amounts of stored data. Written by Joe Kissell and created in collaboration with DEVONtechnologies, LLC, Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2 explains DEVONthink's core concepts and guides readers through many aspects of putting DEVONthink to work.
Kissell teaches readers how to:
- Get around in the interface
- Decide how many databases you need and set them up
- Determine whether to input or index data
- Configure where incoming data will go
- Import data from many different applications
- Input data from a scanner, including OCR options
- Use grouping and tagging to organize data
- Use simple (and sophisticated) techniques for searching
- Create smart groups that automatically gather newly imported data
- Edit data in DEVONthink (or externally)
- Find the best way to sync DEVONthink data with other devices
- Share DEVONthink data with other people
- Export data from DEVONthink
- Back up and maintain healthy databases
- What is DEVONthink good for, and what should be left to other programs?
- What kinds of data can I import? (Short answer: Nearly everything!)
- Which of DEVONthink's many views should I use?
- When I import data from different sources, where does it end up, and why?
- Is it better to sort imported data right away, or leave it for later?
- Should I group my data, tag it, or both?
- What are duplicates and replicants, and how can I tell them apart?
- Which types of data can be created or edited within DEVONthink?
- How do I make my DEVONthink database accessible via the Web?
- How do I use DEVONthink To Go on my iOS device?
- Are there Automator or AppleScript options for DEVONthink? (Hint: Yes!)
The ebook covers all three editions of DEVONthink 2: DEVONthink Pro Office, DEVONthink Professional, and DEVONthink Personal, and it is completely up-to-date with last month's release of DEVONthink 2.3.3.
About the AuthorJoe Kissell has written numerous books about the Macintosh, including many popular Take Control ebooks. He's also Senior Editor of TidBITS, contributes frequently to Macworld, and previously spent ten years in the Mac software industry. Joe Kissell joined the TidBITS staff in 2006 as Senior Editor and currently lives in Paris.
View Joe Kissell's full profile page.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see:http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781615424023.do
Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2, 2nd Edition
By Joe Kissell
Ebook ISBN: 9781615424023
Ebook Price: $15.00
<br clear="all">About TidBITS
The Take Control series is published by TidBITS Publishing Inc. TidBITS co-founders Adam and Tonya Engst have been publishing highly regarded news and editorial since 1990 when they created the online newsletter TidBITS, which covers Macintosh and Internet-related topics. The Take Control series has helped many thousands of readers with high-quality, timely, real-world, cost-effective documentation since 2003.
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.